This temporary visa lets a parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years. Also one can apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia of 10 years.
1) Be the biological, legal (including adoptive) parent, step-parent, or parent-in-law of the Parent Sponsor
2) Be at least 18 years of age
3) There is no balance of family test or Assurance of Support requirements for this visa.
4) You must lodge your visa application within 6 months of the sponsorship approval, or 60 days if you are given Permission to Apply in Australia
5) You must have funds access with proper documentation and documentation of the health insurance.
6) You should not have any pending public health debts and fulfill health, character, and national security requirements.
Places available for Sponsored Parent Visa
Up to 15,000 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas may be granted each year, ensuring reunions are possible for many families. This will make a big difference to many Australian families.Process
The 870 Visa is a two-step process: • Apply and have approved Parent Sponsor before you can lodge an application for the visa • Lodge your visa application within six (6) months of the sponsorship approval
Eligibility for 870 visa subclass
• the biological, adoptive, or step-parent or parent-in-law of the parent sponsor, • who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
There is no balance of family test or Assurance of Support requirements for this visa.
Subclass 870 visa Requirements
• sponsors will need to have a taxable income of at least $83,454.80
• the sponsor/parent relationship requirements (ie: a parent must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor and a step-parent can only apply if they are still in a married/de facto relationship with a biological parent of the sponsor)
• be aged at least 18 years of age
• be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who has been usually resident in Australia for four years
• have met any prior sponsorship obligations
• have no adverse information unless it is reasonable to disregard the information
• have no debts to the Commonwealth or public health debts unless appropriate arrangements have been made for payment
• a minimum household income threshold (based on the income of the sponsor, or the combined income of the sponsor and their spouse/partner and/or another child of the parent)
• provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the past 10 years
• authorise information to be shared with the visa applicant. Sponsors must also agree to comply with sponsorship obligations in relation to the parent(s) they are sponsoring.
Sponsored parent (temporary) visa applicants must:
• be sponsored by a person who is an approved parent sponsor
• be at least 18 years of age
• provide evidence of access to funds
• provide evidence of health insurance
• not have an outstanding public health debt (unless appropriate arrangements have been made to repay the debt)
• satisfy health, character, and national security requirements